Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lazy Saturday mornings...

 Princess Diana Memorial Breakfast Cake


This is my family's favorite breakfast cake. We most often have it on Saturdays or Sundays, and especially when we have friends or family in town. Ironically, we usually have it at brunch time, as it is too sweet for breakfast! It is from Nicci Price...and they call it "Spanish Loaf" and I believe they treat it more as a dessert.

I just happened to be making it the day Princess Di's memorial was being televised. I was so sad that she had died and left behind 2 young boys and nations to mourn her. I cried the whole time I was baking and watching the coverage. Now, every time I make this cake, I think of her, thus it has become my own memorial to her! It's okay to shed a tear as you make it, too!

You will need:
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup oil ( I use sunflower)

Mix together all ingredients above. Take out 1 cup of mixture and put in separate bowl and add 2 tsp. cinnamon. Set aside to use as crumb topping.

To original mixture, add:
1 cup milk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 large egg

Beat well and pour into 9x13 inch pan. 
(Take a minute to remember your favorite thing about Princess Di.) 
Sprinkle crumb topping over cake and bake at 325o for 35 - 40 minutes 
(Try not to cry into the batter.)

Meanwhile, mix up a batch of Icing: 
(this is my addition...the Price's don't add icing)
 2 cups powdered sugar
1 - 2 TBSP milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond flavoring
1 TBSP butter

Beat, beat, beat all ingredients til silky smooth. 
(Use the beating to take out your frustration with the darn paparazzi.)


While cake is still warm, poke holes all through with bamboo skewer (or fork if you don't have a skewer handy) then drizzle icing over hot cake. Slice and serve while still warm.



Here's to you, Diana!





No comments: